For centuries, Palo Santo, which translated means “holy wood,” has been burned as an energy cleanser. It’s considered a deeply sacred and spiritual tree which possesses a cleansing energy and healing properties similar to Sage and Cedar. However, Palo Santo is actually part of the citrus family and has the sweet smell of pine, mint, and lemon.
Traditionally said to be used for the relief of common colds and flu, stress, asthma, headaches, depression, anxiety and inflammation, Palo Santo is also commonly used for calming the immune and nervous symptoms, aiding fast recovery from ailments and illnesses.
Palo Santo works well as a smudging tool for clearing a room of negative energies, or simply for refreshing a room in your home after you’ve had guests or visitors to stay. The smell is so fresh and beautiful and is known to make those who smell it feel calm and grounded.
Great to use it for meditation, yoga and to cleanse your space of loved objects.
- Take one stick and light it with a candle, match or lighter in a 45 degree angle.
- Allow the Palo Santo stick to burn for 30 seconds to a minute, then carefully blow it out.
- Move around the space in which you wish to clear the energy, allowing the smoke to waft around each area.
- A rich smell will fill the air, bringing peace and clarity to the moment.
- You can reignite the burn by blowing on the stick, more smoke should then come out.
- Once you feel you have completed your rituel, ensure the Palo Santo stick is no longer burning. You can place it in a fireproof bowl and allow the embers to burn out naturally or alternatively place the stick in sand or earth to choke the flame.
- Remember to always exercise care and caution when working with fire.